Deschutes is winding down 2014 with some very special releases. You'll be glad to know that The Abyss, The Dissident are soon returning! Joining them are Zarabanda and Jubel 2015. So mark your calendars, and get ready to find these beers. Here are the delicious details:
- When: November
- What: Collaboration Beer with Chef José Andrés (22-ounce bottles and draft). An energetic and passionate intersection of the culinary and craft brewing worlds, Zarabanda is a spiced Saison that’s been years in the making. It is the result of a unique collaboration between renowned Chef José Andrés and Deschutes Brewery brewers. They worked together throughout this spiced Saison‘s development, infusing the final recipe with authentic and distinctive flavors that represent Andrés’ innovation and Deschutes’ enthusiasm for experimentation and adventure. Zarabanda provides a complex malt body formed from a generous use of Vienna and Spelt malts. A classic Saison yeast strain contributes light fruit esters, which are complemented by aromatic dried lime, flowery pink peppercorn, lemon verbena and savory sumac.
- Where: Limited year-round availability in most states where Deschutes is sold
- Beer Geek Information: 6.7% ABV | 18 IBUs
- When: November 13th
- What: Reserve Series (22-ounce wax-dipped bottles and draft). One of Deschutes Brewery’s most beloved beers, the magical liquid that is The Abyss, returns for its ninth year in the late fall of 2014. The bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout has become the heart and soul of the Reserve Series. This heady brew never fails to compel fans to crack open the wax-dipped seal and instantly fall under the spell of its many delights. The Abyss has immeasurable depth and complexity with hints of molasses, licorice, vanilla, and bourbon. As for the great "drink it now or let it age" debate, we stand clearly on the fence. While Distinct and delicious on release, flavors fuse into an entirely different pleasure after some time in the cellar.
- Where: Available in most states where Deschutes is sold
- Beer Geek Information: 11.1% ABV | 70 IBUs
- When: December
- What: Reserve Series (22-ounce wax-dipped bottles and draft). This magnificent sour ale will return this fall. Eighteen plus months in isolation, The Dissident is a distinctive Flanders-style sour brown ale, with a fruity aroma and flavor. Wild yeasts brettanomyces and lactobacillus impart its characteristic sour taste and a lavish amount of Oregon cherries - pits, stems and all – creates balanced perfection. It’s the brewery’s wildest, most pampered beer.
- Where: Extremely limited availability
- When: February
- What: Seasonal (12-ounce bottles and draft). Originally planned as a once-per-decade brew, this “Super Jubel” was last bottled in 2010. The brewery just couldn’t wait another five years to release it again for fans. Thus…Jubel 2015. It was “discovered” by accident two decades ago when a clumsy burglar didn’t realize the weight of his stolen keg of Jubelale in the dead of the Oregon winter. The remaining liquid from the half-frozen keg was a highly concentrated “Jubelale on steroids.” It was so good the brewers set about recreating it, eventually aging it in Pinot Noir barrels for good measure. Jubel 2015 is a multi-dimensional brew with a bigger, fuller take on the flavors found in Jubelale.
- Where: Available in limited quantities wherever Deschutes beer is sold
- Beer Geek Information: 11% ABV | 55 IBUs
I previously profiled The Dissident '10 and The Abyss '10. Both beers are absolutely amazing! If you have not yet experienced these, I highly recommend you try them. Both evolve with age, so consider picking up a few bottles for your cellar.