- Goose Bump: Imperial Stout with a tan head and loads of coffee aroma and flavor. Very smooth and creamy mouth feel with a nice coffee finish. It may be 9% ABV, but the alcohol is well hidden. My favorite of the bunch.
- Super Snow Cap: Part of their Ignition series, it's an amped up version of Snow Cap. Aroma and flavors of roasted malts and caramel. Lightly carbonated with lots of malt in the finish.
- MacTarnahan's Fresh Hop Amber Ale: Aroma of piney hops which come through in the flavor. Nice caramel malt backbone. I wish I sampled this next to a regular Mac. Read this for more on fresh hopped beers.
- Crystal Wheat: Straw colored with a nice floral hop aroma. 5.3% ABV. Very light bodied and a bit too thin for my taste. I think I might enjoy it more on a hot summer day.
- Alehouse Amber: Unfiltered and golden orange in color. Not much in aroma. Sweet malt flavors.
Yesterday was a typical rainy winter day in Portland, so we really enjoyed the roaring fireplace in MacTarnahan's cozy dining room. After a great beer tasting lunch at Mac's, we proceeded to our next stop—BridgePort Brewpub. More on that later...
During the last month, I have been as busy as one of Santa's elves. Instead of making toys, I've been tasting winter seasonal beers (a much better gig, in my opinion). I was planning to wrap up the winter season with my last round of reviews.
However, during my frequent visits to New Seasons' beer cooler, I saw more winter brews that were begging to be quaffed. I think that's something we can classify as a "high quality" problem. So during the next week or two, I will be sampling and writing about:
- Tannen Bomb, Golden Valley Brewing
- Old Man Winter Ale, Southern Tier Brewing
- Christmas Ale 2010, Anchor Brewing
- WinterFish, Fish Brewing Co.
- Winter Hook, Redhook Ale Brewery
- Brown Shugga', Lagunitas Brewing
For the full rundown on the winter seasonals I tasted so far, click here for Round 1 and Round 2.
In case you're still counting, only 3 shopping days until Christmas! That reminds me, I better get to the mall. I don't like malls.